Saturday 24 February 2007
Grayrigg Train Crash

Sorry I'm not supposed to call it a crash anymore am I? Its an accident. One must point out that despite there being a fatality, there was only one fatality. This amazes me when you look at the horrific pictures from the crash scene, but proves that rail travel is still one of the safest modes of transport not only in this country, but across the world. Our rail system cannot handle high speed trains, network rail have done some dodgy rail repairs in the past, but I would sooner get on a train, then take a coach. Also people having been whinging about network rail, but is there any decent company out there who is willing to take on the massive job of providing and supporting the railway systems in this country? On a final note, I would like to applaud Sir Richard Branson for being so supportive of the driver of the train, and being one of the first officials to arrive at the crash site. Mind you I did notice he praised the design of his new trains, quoting;


"If it had been any of the old trains, the injuries and fatalities would have been horrendous...built like a tank"


Hate to say it but he's right.